Tuesday, May 1, 2007

$20 Test

I thought that it would make an interesting exercise to try and see what I could do with $20...it would be cool to have $2000 in cash hidden in my car for emergencies, but I don't...I do, however, have $20...

I went to the grocery store with a $20 bill and tried to outfit myself for a short-term bug-out and walk away with a bit of change...

I limited myself to food and water, and did pretty well (I think)...try it and share your results...and the reasoning behind your choices...



Two 32 ounce containers of dry roast, low salt, peanuts - $3.99 each
One 24 ounce container of raisins - $3.69
One case of water, containing 30 half-liter bottles - $4.99
Total with tax - $17.05

I got the 1/2 liter bottles as opposed to gallon jugs because the price difference was teeny, and these are more useful...

Mixing the peanuts and raisins into GORP would yield craploads of calories, fat, protein, and carbs...

Using nutritiondata.com to crunch the numbers, I figure that I could easily go 4 days with this stuff at the following rate and nutritional benefit:

GORP
Fat – 224g per day
Carb – 228g per day
Protein – 118g per day
Calories – 3,128 per day

Water
7.5 bottles of water per day

This works out to $4.26 per day, in a situation where I picked up the stuff in a couple of minutes on my way out of town and didn't have access to a credit card...I think that anyone could do this in an emergency, and be out (using the express line) before everyone else has stripped the shelves...

I'd love to see what other ZSers can come up with as alternatives...I didn't get 1st-aid or shelter stuff, on the assumption that I can sleep in my car and use the FAK that has always been in my car...

No comments: